Sunday, October 26, 2008

Math Instruction A Go-Go!

Tomorrow is my first foray into math instruction at my dyad placement. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous. I am taking over a small group of 3 that is following the first grade Everyday Math curriculum. Well, they aren't quite following the curriculum the way everyone else is.

You see that is where my problem is. Since the curriculum spirals quickly, the group has been slowed down to focus more intensely on specific skills. They have been going through their Student Workbook, and teaching from there essentially. Since we haven't gotten to the fundamentals behind math instruction I have found myself a bit nervous and anxious. Will I do it right? Will I be going too quick? Too slow? How can I bring in more manipulatives? How do you meet the needs of all 3 of them as their needs, and their quirks are so disparate.?.

We'll see at 10:45 tomorrow.

2 comments:

LE said...

So, how did it go??? Your experience brings up an important discussion- how does standardized curriculum "fit" into special ed. classrooms? Will your students be taking the WASL? What does overall evaluation look like for your students beyond their IEP's?

Pete! said...

Ugh! It wasn't an abject failure, but I wouldn't consider it a success. It brought out so many other issues, such as what system do you use to count dots on a domino? So many times they counted 1-2 over because they couldn't stop.

Tomorrow, instead of measurement, I am sticking with dominoes. We are going to work on using pennies to represent the pattern, then draw them. Then we are going to draw other dominoes (ie 3+6) and work out counting the parts, and total (see where that is going?!?). I needed to better structure my activity to meet the objective.