Thursday, November 20, 2008

Behavior-isms

I have to admit, with so much to read, it's hard to post.

Day Making
I just finished watching my video lesson with a professor. I could see myself, the student teacher, stressing a bit about small things. I asked student groups to 'report' out after having discussions. That would be six groups, one person per table group. Then, children wanted to add extra 'reporting' and others wanted to,.I wanted one behavior and was getting another. Or..

Are they behaving properly (They have 15 minutes before they leave the classroom) if one person reports out and all is well? Is this what I want, compliance and nothing else? Well, I start a little panic. I know this is the last time I get to teach this group of curious children, they are engaged and everyone wants to add something. Is this chaos? Is this good, bad? What kind of behavior do I want? Why do I feel a bit of me wants them to 'just do what I asked at that moment'. It's like there is the evil teacher living inside (Skinner?) of me. Do what I ask, no more, no less.

Does anyone else have this teacher living inside? It doesn't arise all the time, just sometimes. Why? Is it only stress? Is it expectations?

I say, "If we have time, you may report out." I am not stressing TO the children. A part of me wants to encourage all voices, another part wants equalization for all-showing no favoritism.

Then I read the post about ESD's Make Your Day program. The children are asked every day the same thing after every lesson. They just recite what they know and what they have heard. Some of them think deeper and go a little broader. I have seen good conflict resolution with both second and fourth graders. I have seen it working well into April. I also see the teacher, like you said Lorax, being the final authority and telling the student, "Well, I saw this happening and I think an 8 is more honest, what do you think?" The student has the voice to respond out and list concerns as to why they were distracted, etc., and if they agree and disagree.

I have also seen teachers rushing through concerns, like I did on reporting out. There is an agenda and we must meet it. After watching the Vermont school with Claire, I see such an ease with time. That is not the reality I have experienced, yet. I may not ever. What behavior do we want and what behavior do we have the time for is the quandary.

1 comment:

Pete! said...

This is all part of a larger process. The blogging helps to process those things that you want to do, and want to improve. I have a shorter form of my lesson, not the long form, that I have printed for my teaching days. I don't refer to them when I am teaching, but I use them after to note what I wanted to do and how it went- did I accomplish what I wanted?

I think being conscious of the fact that you don't want (the "behaviorist" techniques) is key. Now where do you carve out time? Anything can be done.