Thursday, November 13, 2008

Integration and the Big Picture

My master teacher asked me what I wanted to teach when I return to the 1st and 2nd graders. I couldn't help but reply with an "I don't know," and a meek shrug. Why would I be getting ready to something? It's still November (right?) and we haven't even had turkey!?!

This afternoon brought me to a new point though. I think it was looking at the unit webs that everything clicked into place for me, and the wheels began to turn. After my body calmed down, and my brain spun into another gear, I started to visualize the points of integration. I was finally able to see the destination, the big city that I was heading towards. That isn't to say that I didn't have integration planned into my unit on Ants. I just started to see the school day more holistically. I want to have students taking books (Frog and Toad for example) and turning them into plays for the class. I want to have students writing and illustrating new endings to books, or adding onto stories, or creating original works to be performed! Ideally I want to bring them all (including those not mentioned) together under one overarching problem or issue, so that all of the learning connects. I want...

While I have been lax in my creation of the mythical and everpresent binder, I need to find the proper medium to craft my designs for the classroom (or one that I want in the future). As Lamont says, I need an index card to write down my crazy ideas, even if I never use them...

1 comment:

LE said...

It's all about the index cards!! Oh and don't forget those post-its. Really, though, when I got to that part in Lammott about the index cards, I was nodding my head, yes! Awhile back I got some blank index cards and one of those spiffy notecard holders things from the bookstore and started writing down all kinds of teaching ideas: from quick group games, to lessons, cool quotes, and websites that would be good for the classroom. Once I get a bunch, I figured I'd come up with some kind of filing system, but yeah, that hasn't happened quite yet- actually I did get this idea from my master teacher, she had a notecard box full of group game ideas, so I took this and fit it into my own kind of resource collection. There is so much information out there, so many ideas, keeping it all organized- now that's the challenge!