Monday, November 17, 2008

Behaviorism

What role does Behaviorism play in education?

My dyad classroom is heavy into behaviorism, with everybody getting a points chart. The day is broken into 30-45 minute segments, and you get points in 3 categories (directions, body to self, doing work). I've never really been around it, so I have little familiarity with it beyond this experience. But, for the untrained educator, it has been a bit to manage.

I find myself in a middle ground where I am struggling to catch them being good (and missing on some of the praise I need to give), while simultaneously giving them a long leash (and not nailing them for behavior straight away). It came to a head today when I gave one student a point after the fact, when he was turned and talking to another one. I essentially reinforced the turning and talking, not the actual thing I meant to reward.

Which brings me to the question at the top, what role does/should behaviorism play in education? What should we reward? Does it work? Where does it fit in your classroom, in the grand scheme of management? What happens in high school or when there is no school anymore?

No comments: